Dr. Etta M. Madden
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD English, University of New Hampshire, 1995
- MA English Language and Literature, University of Virginia, 1986
- BA Biology and English, Magna Cum Laude, Harding University, 1984
- ENG 700 Research Methods
- ENG 350 American Literature I (Beginnings to 1865)
- ENG 301 Seminar in Public Affairs
- ENG 757 Seminar: Early American Literature
- American Women Writers & the Marriage Plot
- Visions of Utopias in Literature & Culture
- American Romantic Literature
- American Authors in Italy
- American Women’s Visions of Utopia & Mobility
- Gender Issues: Women’s Narratives of Healing
- Introduction to Women’s Literature
- Utopian Studies. Utopia and Food special issue. Lead editor, with Lyman Tower Sargent and Timothy Miller. 26.1 (2015).
- “Eating Ideally: Production, Consumption, Commensality, and Cleanup.” Utopian Studies 26.1 (2015): 2-18.
- “Savory Bites: Books on Eating in Early America.” Review essay of Colonial Food, Ann Chandonnet (Shire 2013); Political Gastronomy: Food and Authority in the English Atlantic World, Michael A. LaCombe (U Pennsylvania P, 2012); Racial Indigestion: Eating Bodies in the 19th Century, Kyla Wazana Tompkins (New York UP, 2012). Early American Literature 50.2 (2015): 495-514. Forthcoming.
- "Nelly Erichsen: Writing and Sketching for the House of Dent.” Proceedings of the Anglo-Italian Cultural Relations in Nineteenth-Century Tuscany Conference (2012), Michel di Montaigne Foundation. Anglistica Pisana X: 1-2 (2013): 49-60.
- “Damanhur: Sustaining Changes in an Intentional Community.”Spiritual and Visionary Communities: Out to Save the World. Ed. Timothy Miller. Ashgate Publishing, 2013. 15-28.
- “Sectarian Communities: Religious Diversity in British America, 1730-1790.” Cambridge History of Religions in America. Volume I: PreColumbian Times to 1790. Ed. Stephen J. Stein. Cambridge UP, 2012. 467-88.
- “Benjamin Rush 1746-1813.” Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism, Vol. 251. Columbia, SC: Layman Poupard Publishing, 2012. 249-336.
- Selections from Eliza Leslie. University of Nebraska Press, 2011
- “Transcendentalism.” Cultural Encyclopedia of Vegetarianism Ed. Margaret Puskar-Pasewicz. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, Inc. 2010. 225-27.
- Eating in Eden: Food and American Utopias. Ed. with Martha L. Finch. University of Nebraska Press, 2006.
- “’To Make a Figure’: Benjamin Rush’s Rhetorical Self-Construction and Scientific Authorship.” Early American Literature 41.2 (2006): 241-272.
- Bodies of Life: Shaker Literature and Literacies. Contributions to the Study of Religion. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Awards and honors
- NEH Seminar Participant, American Academy in Rome, Italy in the Age of Risorgimento: New Perspectives, 2013
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship, "Recovering and Refining Anne Hampton Brewster's Italian Experiences," Library Company of Philadelphia, 2013
- William J. Fulbright Italian Commission for Cultural Exchange, Senior Lecturer in American Literature, University of Catania, Sicily, 2009