Why pursue a master's in English at Missouri State?
The English graduate program at Missouri State University offers you the following:
- An opportunity to refine your writing and critical reading skills and advance your knowledge in research and language analysis
- A chance to teach undergraduates, as well as prepare for a variety of professional settings
- Preparation to pursue a doctorate in English
- Specialization in a number of unique areas, including English, writing and English education
- An advanced education from accomplished faculty members who are widely published and active writers/editors
Choose your area of specialization
All Master of Arts in English students must complete 18 core hours and specialize in one of the following three tracks:
Hone your skills in writing fiction, essays, poetry or other creative forms. Build up your portfolio, find opportunities to publish your work and make a living writing.
Delve more deeply into the great works of respected writers and develop your research, critical writing and analytical skills. Prepare for a doctoral program and a possible career teaching at the college level.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL):
Put your interest in other cultures to work teaching people whose first language is not English. You can also become certified to teach school-aged English language learners via this program.