Dr. Mara Cohen Ioannides
Role: Faculty Emeritus
- DS, Jewish Studies, 2017, The Spertus Institute of Jewish Learning and Leadership
- MA, 1992, Carnegie Mellon University
- BS, 1990, Columbia University
- ENG 110
- ENG 210
- ENG 221
- ENG 310
- ENG 330
- ENG 361
- ENG 362
Selected non-fiction publications
- “Changes in the Ashkanormative nature of SciFi stories,” with Valeria Frankel, in Anthology: Jewish Fantasy: International and/or Minority Cultures, Valerie Frankel, Ed. Lexington Pub., forthcoming.
- “Golems in Television and Movies,” in Jews in Popular Science Fiction: Marginalized in the Mainstream, Valerie Frankel, ed. Lexington Pub., 2022.
- “Jewish Sioux Falls,” in The History of Sioux Falls, Jon Lauck and Patrick Hicks, ed., Belt Pub., 2022, forthcoming.
- Jews of Missouri: an ornament to Israel. Ozarks Studies Institute, 2021.
- Creating Community: The Jews of Springfield, Missouri. Greene County Historical Society, 2021
- The Evolution of the Non-liturgical Parts of the Central Conference of American Rabbis Haggadah, deGruyter, 2017.
- “Jewish Homesteader Memoir: A Woman's Story,” in Judaism and Gender, Leonard Greenspoon, ed., Purdue UP, 2021, pp. 123-134, forthcoming.
- “Exploring Midwestern v. Great Plains Regional Variation By Way of the Jewish Immigrant Experience,” in Search of the Interior Borderlands: Where Does the Midwest End and the Great Plains Begin?, Jon Lauck, ed., Augustana University, 2019.
- Guest Editor. OzarksWatch: The Magazine of the Ozarks — Special Issue: Documenting Jews of the Ozarks, vol. 12, no. 1&2, 1999.
Selected fiction publications
- We are in Exile/Estamos en Galut, Hakadosh, 2016.
- A Shout in the Sunshine, The Jewish Publication Society, 2007
Research and professional interests
- American Judaism
- Jewish literature
Awards and honors
- Show Me Missouri: Conversations about Missouri’s Past, Present, and Future, Missouri Humanities Council. 2019-2021
- Best General History, Midwest Independent Publishers Association for Search of the Interior Borderlands: Where Does the Midwest End and the Great Plains Begin?, Jon Lauck, ed. 2020
- Lowenstein-Wiener Fellowship at the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives. Cincinnati Campus of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati, OH. 2008-2009
- Skipping Stones Honor Award for A Shout in the Sunshine. 2008
- National Jewish Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature Finalist for A Shout in the Sunshine. 2007
- College of Arts and Letters Award in Research. Missouri State University. 2004-2005
- Marguerite R. Jacobs Fellowship at the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives. Cincinnati Campus of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati, OH. 2001-2002
- College of Arts and Letters Award in Research. Missouri State University. 1998-1999