Dr. Etta M. Madden
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, English, University of New Hampshire
- MA, English Language and Literature, University of Virginia,
- BA, Biology and English, Harding University
- Introduction to Critical Analysis
- American Literature I (Beginnings to 1865)
- Research Methods
- Honors Seminar: Utopian/Dystopian Visions of Food
- American Women Writers & the Marriage Plot
- Visions of Utopias in Literature & Culture
- “Anne Hampton Brewster’s St. Martin’s Summer and Utopian Literary Discourses.” Utopian Studies 28.2 (2017), 305-26.
- “American Anne Hampton Brewster’s Social Circles: Bagni di Lucca, 1873, and Roman Rodolfo Lanciani.” Questioni di Genere: Femminilità e Effeminatezza nella Cultura Vittoriana. Edited by Roberta Ferrari e Laura Giovannelli. Bologna: Bononia UP, 2016. 117-43.
- Utopian Studies. Utopia and Food special issue. Lead editor, with Lyman Tower Sargent and Timothy Miller. 26.1 (2015).
- “Damanhur: Sustaining Changes in an Intentional Community.”Spiritual and Visionary Communities: Out to Save the World. Ed. Timothy Miller. Ashgate Publishing, 2013. 15-28.
- “Sectarian Communities: Religious Diversity in British America, 1730-1790.” Cambridge History of Religions in America. Volume I: PreColumbian Times to 1790. Ed. Stephen J. Stein. Cambridge UP, 2012. 467-88.
- Selections from Eliza Leslie. University of Nebraska Press, 2011
- Eating in Eden: Food and American Utopias. Ed. with Martha L. Finch. University of Nebraska Press, 2006.
- Bodies of Life: Shaker Literature and Literacies. Contributions to the Study of Religion. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Awards and honors
- New York Public Library Short Term Fellowship, “Translations and Transformations of an
Ambasciatrice: Caroline Crane Marsh” (2018)
- NEH Seminar Participant, American Academy in Rome, Italy in the Age of Risorgimento: New Perspectives, 2013
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship, "Recovering and Refining Anne Hampton Brewster's Italian Experiences," Library Company of Philadelphia, 2013
- William J. Fulbright Italian Commission for Cultural Exchange, Senior Lecturer in American Literature, University of Catania, Sicily, 2009