Dr. Matthew S. Calihman
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, 2005, Washington University in St. Louis
- Critical Approaches to Literature (ENG 235)
- Survey of American Literature, Part II (ENG 351)
- Ethnic American Literature (ENG 354)
- African American Literature (ENG 355)
- American Novel (ENG 517/617)
- American Realism (ENG 557/656)
- Modern American Literature (ENG 559/659)
- Introduction to Research Methods in English (ENG 700)
- Seminar in Twentieth-Century American Literature (ENG 758)
Research and professional interests
- African American literature
- American literature
- American studies
- Race and ethnicity in the U.S.
- Calihman, Matthew and Gerald Early, editors. Approaches to Teaching Baraka’s Dutchman. Modern Language Association, 2018.
- Calihman, Matthew, Tracy Floreani, and A Yemisi Jimoh, editors. Ralph Ellison, special issue of American Studies, vol. 54, no. 3, 2015.
- Calihman, Matthew. “Black Power beyond Black Nationalism: John A. Williams, Cultural Pluralism, and the Popular Front.” MELUS, vol. 34, no. 1, 2009, pp. 139-62.
- Calihman, Matthew. “‘Where Are the Italian Anarchists?’: Amiri Baraka and the Usable Pasts of the Immigrant Left.” Voices in Italian Americana, vol. 18, no. 2, 2007, pp. 79-89.