Dr. Matthew S. Calihman
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, 2005, Washington University in St. Louis
- ENG 235 Critical Approaches to Literature
- ENG 351 Survey of American Literature, Part II
- ENG 354 Ethnic American Literature
- ENG 355 African American Literature
- ENG 517/617 American Novel
- ENG 554/654 Ethnic American Literature
- ENG 557/656 American Realism
- ENG 559/659 Modern American Literature
- ENG 700 Introduction to Research Methods in English
- ENG 758 Seminar in Twentieth-Century American Literature
- Calihman, Matthew. “Black Power and Black Arts.” Ralph Ellison in Context, edited by Paul Devlin. Cambridge University Press, 2021, pp. 167-76.
- Calihman, Matthew and Gerald Early, editors. Approaches to Teaching Baraka’s Dutchman. Modern Language Association, 2018.
- Calihman, Matthew, Tracy Floreani, and A Yemisi Jimoh, editors. Ralph Ellison, special issue of American Studies, vol. 54, no. 3, 2015.
- Calihman, Matthew. “Black Power beyond Black Nationalism: John A. Williams, Cultural Pluralism, and the Popular Front.” MELUS, vol. 34, no. 1, 2009, pp. 139-62.
- Calihman, Matthew. “‘Where Are the Italian Anarchists?’: Amiri Baraka and the Usable Pasts of the Immigrant Left.” Voices in Italian Americana, vol. 18, no. 2, 2007, pp. 79-89.
Research and professional interests
- African American literature
- American literature
- American studies
- Race and ethnicity in the U.S.