Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Graduate Certificate Program

Specialists in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) teach English (speaking, listening, reading, writing) to people who do not speak English as their first language. TESOL specialists may teach adults in universities, community colleges or various literacy programs. Some may teach overseas in schools, businesses or other settings, such as the Peace Corps.

Graduate students in English may emphasize TESOL course work in their master’s program without necessarily seeking certification; some may seek Missouri K–12 TESOL certification as described below.