Apply to this program through a central application. Review the sections below before you begin.
If you are applying for summer or fall admission, your application will receive priority consideration if we receive it by March 1. For spring admission, the deadline is October 1.
Due Dates: Admission applications are reviewed year-round, but applicants who are also applying for Graduate Assistantship positions in the English Department should make sure to submit all required application materials, for both admission and an assistantship, by March 1. (Review of English Department assistantship applications typically takes place in March, and the assistantship awards themselves typically begin during the following August.)
Admission to the program is based on the following components and Application Requirements/Deadlines:
- A bachelor's degree with undergraduate preparation in English or, in the case of applicants interested in TESOL, course work in language and linquistics;
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 overall;
- A completed Missouri State University Graduate Application; and
- The following materials must be submitted:
- A personal statement (a 200- to 250-word description of the reasons and goals behind your interest in English graduate studies);
- At least two letters of recommendation from individuals able to speak of the applicant's academic achievements and potential;
- A 10-15 page writing sample or a set of writing samples totaling 10 to 15 pages;
- Graduate Assistantship Application if the prospective student would like to be considered for this award (submitted directly to the English Department).
Applicants will be notified by mail once their application is complete. Students who do not meet 1 and 2, above, but show high promise, may be admitted conditionally. As conditions of admission, they may be required to take extra courses to address deficiencies (including weaknesses in writing) or they may have other requirements stipulated.