Professional/Technical Writing Accelerated Master's

Professional Writing enables students to go further in future careers.

Jump start your M.A. in Writing (Technical and Professional Writing Track).

If you are an undergraduate Professional Writing major, then you may apply for early admission to the M.A. in Writing (Technical and Professional Writing Track) during your junior or senior year.

Admission Requirements:

  • an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher
  • a minimum GPA of 3.25 in all Professional Writing courses
  • at least 9 hours completed in Professional Writing courses
  • no grade below B in any Professional Writing course.

Two graduate Professional Writing faculty members must be willing to recommend you as a strong candidate for the accelerated master’s degree; the form with those signatures should be presented to the Coordinator of the Technical & Professional Writing program.

Before you can enroll in graduate courses, you must apply for admission to the Graduate College (select the Accelerated Master’s option). You will be classified as a graduate student upon completion of your bachelor’s degree; therefore, you must submit your graduate application for the semester following the completion of your undergraduate degree.

Once you are accepted for early admission to the Graduate College and for admission to the Accelerated Master’s Degree, you may take up to 12 credit hours at the 600 level that apply to both your undergraduate and your graduate degree programs (mixed credit).

To receive credit at both the undergraduate and graduate level, you must complete a Mixed Credit form and submit it (in person) to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington 320 prior to or at the time of registration (and absolutely no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester); the graduate advisor, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must sign the form (so please allow time to get the required signatures).


You may need Adobe Reader to view and print the forms.