Learning outcomes for the English graduate program
- Students will know the history of literature written in English, including literary periods and generic traditions.
- Students will locate literary texts in their historical, cultural, and rhetorical contexts.
- Students will employ literary terms and contemporary critical methodologies in the analysis of texts, appropriately using and citing secondary materials.
- Students will employ advanced research methods with professional rigor.
- Students will understand, analyze, and effectively use the conventions of the English language.
- Students will demonstrate how narratives lead to the discovery of cultures in their specificities and diversity, and to the understanding of human beings in their similarities and differences.
- Students will fulfill Missouri State University’s public affairs mission by analyzing how literature, writers, and literary institutions respond to existing leadership and provide new leadership.