Dr. Etta M. Madden
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, English, University of New Hampshire
- MA, English Language and Literature, University of Virginia,
- BA, Biology and English, Harding University
- American Literature 1 (Beginnings to 1865)
- American Novel
- Research Methods
- Visions of Utopia in Literature and Culture
- Women’s Literature
- Gender Issues in Language & Literature
- Engaging Italy: American Women’s Utopian Visions and Transnational Networks. SUNY Press (forthcoming April 2022 cloth; January 2023 paper).
- “Travels, Translations and Limitations: Ambasciatrice Caroline Crane Marsh.” Transatlantica: American Studies Journal. Special issue on Transatlantic Women Writers. 2018
- “Ambasciatrice, Activist, Auntie, Author: Caroline Crane Marsh.” New York Public Library, Short Term Research Fellows. December 19, 2018.
- “Against Utopia.” Just Teach One, Common-Place, the journal of early American life. June 2017.
- Utopian Studies. Utopia and Food special issue editor and author of introduction. 26.1, 2015.
- Selections from Eliza Leslie. Ed., Intro. & Bibliography. University of Nebraska Press, 2011.
- Eating in Eden: Food and American Utopias. Ed. with Martha Finch. University of Nebraska Press, 2006.
- Bodies of Life: Shaker Literature and Literacies. Contributions to the Study of Religion. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Research and professional interests
- American women’s writing
- Biographies, autobiographies and memoirs
- Utopian and communal studies
- Religion and religious literature
- Science and science literature
Awards and honors
- Digital Recovery Hub for American Women Writers, University of Illinois Edwardsville and the University of Nebraska Lincoln, 2021-22
- New York Public Library Short Term Fellowship, “Translations and Transformations of an Ambasciatrice: Caroline Crane Marsh”, 2018
- NEH Seminar Participant, American Academy in Rome, Italy in the Age of Risorgimento: New Perspectives, 2013
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship, "Recovering and Refining Anne Hampton Brewster's Italian Experiences," Library Company of Philadelphia, 2013
- William J. Fulbright Italian Commission for Cultural Exchange, Senior Lecturer in American Literature, University of Catania, Sicily, 2009