Dr. Jonathan M. Newman
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, Medieval Studies, 2008, University of Toronto
- MA, Medieval Studies, 2000, University of Toronto
- BA, English and Linguistics with Highest Honors, 1999, University of Florida
- ENG 235 Critical Approaches to Literature
- ENG 340 Survey of English Literature I
- ENG 289 Literature, Culture, and Conflict
- ENG 491 History of the English Language
- ENG 598/698 Early English Language and Literature
- ENG 744 Seminar in Early English Literature
- ENG 312 Introduction to Shakespeare
- Faculty Co-Advisor, Sigma Tau Delta, Missouri State University chapter, International English Honor Society
- Jonathan M. Newman. “Ex Illo Tempore: Time, and Mediation and the Ars Dictaminis in Letter 65 by Peter the Venerable.” Old Media and the Medieval Concept. Eds. Stephen Yeager and Thora Brylow (Concordia University Press, 2020).
- Jonathan M. Newman. “Competition, Narrative, and Literary Copia in the Works of Boncompagno da Signa and Guido Faba,” Journal of Latin Cosmopolitanism and European Literatures vol. 1 (2019), pp. 35-54.
- Jonathan M. Newman. "Dictators of Venus: Clerical Love Letters and Female Subjection in Troilus and Criseyde and the Rota Veneris." Studies in the Age of Chaucer, vol. 38, 2012, pp. 103-138.
- Jonathan M. Newman. "Dialogism in Hoccleve." The Oxford Handbook to Chaucer. Eds. Suzanne Conklin Akabari and James Simpson. Oxford University Press, 2020, pp. 601-619.
- Magda S.J. Hayton and Jonathan M. Newman, eds. and trans.. Speculum futurorum temporum siue Pentachronon sancte Hildegardis (Mirror of Future Times or the Five Times of Saint Hildegard). Peeters Press, 2021.
- Jonathan M. Newman. “Venus.” The Chaucer Encyclopedia. Ed. Richard Newhauser. Wiley-Blackwell, 2020.
Research and professional interests
- Middle English literature
- Medieval Latin literature
- Pre-modern cultural and gender studies
- History of rhetoric
Awards and honors
- Faculty Research Grant, 2019-2020
- St. Louis University Vatican Film Library Mellon Fellowship, 2018
- James J. Paxson Memorial Travel Grant, 2013
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011-2013