If you are applying for summer or fall admission, your application will receive priority consideration if we receive it by March 1. For spring admission, the deadline is October 1.
Due Dates: For students applying for Summer and Fall semester, priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 1; for Spring, by October 1.
Admission to the program is based on the following components and Application Requirements/Deadlines:
- A bachelor's degree with extensive preparation in English (the course work equivalent of an English minor);
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 overall;
- A completed Missouri State University Graduate Application; and
- The following materials must be submitted:
- Personal Statement (a 200- to 250-word description of the reasons and goals behind your interest in English graduate studies);
- At least two letters of recommendation from individuals able to speak of the applicant's academic achievements and potential;
- A writing sample (a 10-15 page critical paper in English or portfolio of writing samples);
- Graduate Assistantship application if the prospective student would like to be considered for this award (submitted directly to the English Department).
Applicants will be notified by mail once their application is complete. Students who do not meet 1 and 2, above, but show high promise, may be admitted conditionally. As conditions of admission, they may be required to take extra courses or make up deficiencies (including weaknesses in writing) or they may have other requirements stipulated.